Bus Accidents: How To File a Claim After a Florida Bus Accident

The reality of a bus crash is devastating. When you’re on a bus on your way to and from school, work, or the grocery store, the last thing you want to think about is the bus crashing. Such accidents can cause devastating injuries to passengers due to their significant force of impact and dangerous debris scattered about the scene.

Have you suffered injuries as a passenger in a bus accident and are unsure how to obtain compensation? Depending on the accident’s severity and the injuries you sustained, you may be able to receive compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages with the help of an attorney.

Our bus accident lawyers at Cohen and Juda, P.A. have over 30 years of experience serving bus accident victims in South Florida. We will personally assist you and fight for you to get compensation for your injuries. If you or a loved one have been in a bus accident, don’t hesitate to call us at (954) 424-1440 to schedule your FREE consultation.

Are Buses Motor Vehicles and Why Does it Matter?

It depends on the bus. Under Florida law, vehicles used in mass transit owned by the government or municipalities are not considered motor vehicles and are not required to carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance coverage.

However, school and privately-owned buses are classified as “motor vehicles” and are required by law to carry PIP insurance. This means if you’re injured as a passenger on a privately-owned bus, your PIP insurance, or the PIP insurance of the bus if you do not have coverage, may provide PIP benefits. On the other hand, if you’re injured as a passenger on a city bus which is not required to carry PIP coverage, you will need to rely solely on your PIP coverage.

Bus Accident Liability in a No-Fault State

Florida is a no-fault state, which means that if you’re injured as a passenger in a bus accident, you’ll need to submit an injury claim to your own insurance company first if you have insurance. Let’s go over some of the insurance options you might have with your insurance:

PIP Insurance Coverage

If you have a car registered in Florida, you must have PIP insurance coverage as part of your auto policy. If you’re injured as a passenger on a bus due to an accident, PIP will cover your medical bills and a portion of your lost wages, regardless of who was at fault. Since PIP coverage follows you even if you’re not in your vehicle, you can file a bus passenger injury claim to receive your PIP benefits if you suffer injuries in a bus accident.

Health Insurance

If you have health insurance, it will likely cover any medical expenses that exceed your PIP coverage limit. This is important if you want to file a bus passenger injury claim because personal injury claims after bus accidents often exceed PIP insurance’s coverage.

Bodily Injury Liability (BIL) Insurance Coverage

You can also file a bus passenger injury claim under the BIL coverage of the party at fault. You can discuss the best option during your free consultation with the bus accident law firm of Cohen & Juda, P.A.

Uninsured Motorist (UM) Coverage and Underinsured Motorist Insurance (UIM) Coverage

UM coverage protects you if you’re hit by a driver who does not have insurance. UIM coverage protects you if a driver hits you without enough insurance to cover your medical expenses and other damages. This coverage could be used if the bus accident involved another vehicle and the driver did not have coverage or was underinsured.

Filing a Bus Passenger Injury Claim

When your injuries exceed the limits of your PIP insurance policy, Florida law allows you to file claims against all responsible parties, which means you can sue other drivers for financial damages. For instance, if you sustain a chronic or permanent injury, you may be able to file a claim outside of PIP recovery. Traumatic brain injury, amputation, scarring, or disfigurement are examples of permanent injuries.

Because the injury must be severe enough to warrant additional damage requests, the rules for filing extended claims can be complicated. At this point, hiring a personal injury lawyer is crucial to obtain the best outcome for your case.

Who is Responsible for the Bus Accident?

One of the following parties is usually responsible for the accident:

  • Bus Driver
  • Bus Company
  • Another Driver

You may be able to seek compensation from several people and their insurance companies if one or more of these parties caused the accident.

Choose Personal Injury Lawyers Cohen and Juda, P.A. for Your Bus Accident Case

If you or a loved one have suffered injuries as a passenger in a bus accident, you may be able to file a personal injury claim. Don’t waste time searching online for “bus accident lawyers near me.” At Cohen and Juda, P.A., we are ready to represent you as you seek damages for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.

Once you contact a personal injury attorney from our firm, you will get a FREE initial consultation and case evaluation. If we believe you have a case, we’ll explain the claims process, help with paperwork, hire accident reconstruction experts, gather witness testimonies, and more. Our law firm has been helping clients seek damages and restore their lives for decades, and we are here to help you too.

Call us today at (954) 424-1440, or fill out the form on our website to schedule your FREE consultation with a bus accident lawyer in South Florida. We will represent you personally.

Copyright © 2023. Cohen and Juda, P.A. All rights reserved.

The information in this blog post (post) is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author or the law firm, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting based on any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country, or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.

Cohen and Juda, P.A.
8211 W Broward Blvd, Suite 310
Plantation, FL 33324
(954) 424-1440

Scroll to Top