What Is Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage? A Florida Car Accident Lawyer Explains

Like most people in Florida, you probably only think about car insurance when it’s time to insure your car. And even then, you might only think about Florida’s mandatory requirements for Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and Property Damage Liability coverage. But did you know that there’s another type of coverage to consider? Though not required by Florida law, uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage (also called UM coverage) can help protect you and your loved ones if you’re in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have car insurance or is underinsured.

According to the most recent data available, Florida is one of the top 10 states with the most uninsured drivers – 20.4% of Florida’s drivers have no car insurance. Nearly 1 out of 5 drivers on Florida’s roads are uninsured!

So, what exactly is UM coverage, and how does it protect you against these alarming statistics? The car accident lawyers at Cohen and Juda, P.A. have over 30 years of experience serving car accident victims in South Florida. This article explains how UM coverage works in Florida and how we can help you if you’ve been in a car accident. Call (954) 424-1440 to schedule your free consultation.

What UM Coverage Is and What It Covers

UM coverage is one type of coverage that is often overlooked, but it is essential coverage if you’re involved in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have any insurance or is underinsured. Among other things, UM coverage can pay for:

  • Present and future medical expenses
  • Lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Future loss of earning potential

It’s important to note that UM coverage does not cover damage to your car; for that, you’ll need collision or comprehensive coverage. However, it can provide vital financial protection if you’re involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver. Contact your car insurance company to help determine whether you have UM coverage.

Who Is Covered by UM Coverage?

Standard UM coverage policies typically cover the policyholder’s spouse and any relatives who live with the policyholder in addition to the policyholder. UM coverage usually extends to passengers in the car at the time of the accident.

UM insurance follows the insured individuals rather than the vehicle. This means that UM insurance covers all insureds, whether they are riding in your car, another person’s car, or are pedestrians or cyclists hit by a car. UM coverage also protects insureds in the event of a hit-and-run.

What Happens If You Do Not Have UM Coverage in Florida?

Did you know that in Florida, if you are injured in a car accident, and the at-fault driver is uninsured, you may be unable to seek compensation? That’s right. You can’t file an insurance claim against the other driver if they don’t have insurance and you don’t have UM coverage.

However, you have the right to sue the at-fault driver for the damages you have suffered due to their negligence. This involves pursuing the at-fault driver’s personal assets with the assistance of a car accident lawyer.

How a Car Accidents Lawyer Can Help You If Injured in a Car Accident with an Uninsured or Underinsured Driver

If you’ve been in a car accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, you must seek legal help immediately. As car accident lawyers, we can help you understand your rights, navigate the legal system, and protect your interests. We can also help you determine who is responsible for damages and injuries caused by the accident. Even if you have UM coverage, you may encounter resistance from your insurance company. They may unfairly deny or limit the amount you are compensated. We have experience dealing with their tactics and can advocate on your behalf.

As your car accidents lawyer, we will review your case and advise you on the best course of action to ensure you receive proper compensation for any medical bills, lost wages, and emotional trauma. Moreover, we will provide guidance throughout the entire process of filing your claim or lawsuit. We will personally represent you and work on your behalf to develop a strategy tailored to your needs. We can also provide a second opinion on your case if you already have a lawyer.

Statute of Limitations for Filing a Claim for Car Accidents

To file a claim, you have up to four years from the date of the accident. You cannot file a claim or collect damages after the statute of limitations has expired. It’s best to start the process immediately after the accident while the evidence remains fresh. It will also allow you to collect damages sooner, replace the lost income, and pay medical bills. Many people discover that filing their case well before the statute of limitations is the key to reducing stress following an automobile accident.

Contact Cohen and Juda, P.A. if Injured in a Car Accident in South Florida

When you are involved in a car accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver in Florida, you must have an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side from the beginning. If you have UM coverage, we will deal with your insurance company to ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We can also file a lawsuit on your behalf against the at-fault driver.

With over 30 years of experience, the attorneys at Cohen and Juda, P.A. advocate for the rights of injury victims in South Florida. Call us today at (954) 424-1440, or fill out the form on our website to schedule your free consultation with a car accident lawyer in South Florida. We will represent you personally.

Copyright © 2022. Cohen and Juda, P.A. All rights reserved.

The information in this blog post (post) is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author or the law firm, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting based on any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country, or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.

Cohen and Juda, P.A.
8211 W Broward Blvd, Suite 310
Plantation, FL 33324
(954) 424-1440

Scroll to Top